Sunday, May 18, 2008

Adventurous Spirit

"Nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future."
--Chris McCandless

Just a little ago I read the book "Into the Wild" and I've been showing the movie to a lots of friends 'cause I love the story. It's based on the last 2 years of Chris McCandless' life, who after graduating from Emory College decides to go and live very radically: all by himself, without money or many possessions, just traveling around the United States.

Anyway, this post is not to review the book/movie so if you wanna know more you can use Wikipedia or if you ask me I might answer. This is post is to talk about the "Adventurous Spirit" inside of us.

I mean, I feel this unrest inside myself, a discontent with my life and the limits I have set for it and I want more. And it's not like I have never left my home town or tried new stuff. If you know me you know that I've been studying abroad for 3 years now. I came to the States without knowing anyone and till now I've made a few great friends and I know a lot of people. I haven't travel that much, and that's something that I definitely want to do more. 'Cause the more I've been learning about the world, whether in class, thru books or thru friends, the more I want to learn and experience personally.

I also think about "The Hobbit"--another great book that if you haven't read you should 'cause I wont go into details here--and I want an experience like Bilbo's. I want to set out to lands unknown, with people I know nothing about and I want to let that experience change me and make me grow and realize my full potential. And at the same time I wanna give something back to this world.

Yea, my spirit is not only dissatisfied 'cause I want more but because I want to give more. I feel like there's so much in me that I've been keeping just to myself... I wanna let it out, I wanna give it all. I really want to serve others in love; feel like I'm not selfish but that I'm being one with the world and those around me. I wanna take part in the suffering of those who mourn and I want to be part of their relief. And I also want to take part of the joy of those who celebrate life, love and friendship--'cause there is so much to be thankful for everyday!!

I want to... my spirit longs for... my heart is aching for more.

But what does it take? How do I obtain more and satisfy my soul?

I guess it starts with commitment and determination... but to what? I don't know exactly. I'm in that search right now. And it seems like I've been in this spot before and I just wander a lot and come back to the same place. But whatever... as long as I've enjoyed where I've been to and feel like I've grown at least a little, I guess it's cool. The search continues and I'm not the same as before.

I feel like singing now as Eddie Vedder did...

"Sure as I am breathing
Sure as I'm sad
I'll keep this wisdom in my flesh
I leave here believing more than I had
And there's a reason I'll be
A reason I'll be back"
--(Eddie Vedder, No Ceiling, Into The Wild)

No comments: