Friday, February 26, 2010

On Science and Spirituality


"Science, conceived as evidence and radical questioning, may advance understanding by enabling realistic appraisals of life and its circumstances--for example, by showing that lightening is a giant electrical spark passing from positive to negative cloud particles rather than an expression of anger from the gods in heaven (and hence lightening conductors save lives, while prayer wastes time, preventing escape)--without claiming omnipotence or total knowledge. Some degree of empirical accuracy may be only the beginning of understanding, as existential philosophy argues." (Peet and Hartwick, 2009)

I ask: why understanding? What's the worth of knowing the chemical reactions that happen all around  me if deep inside I feel empty and meaningless?

Science can make life more “efficient” and “better”, true. But efficient and better doesn't necessarily mean lasting “satisfaction” or “contentment”. (For example, I know people that have many luxuries but are always unhappy 'cause they see no purpose in life.)

If, as Geertz said, “man is an animal suspended in webs of significance he himself has spun,” then I rather spin webs of meaning that bring joy and fulfillment to my life. If worshiping the sun and starts brings peace and joy into my heart, then I'll do so (even if science disqualifies my beliefs).

Rather than seeking scientific advancement, let's advance spiritually—in love, tolerance and honesty.

“What, in human life is truly richness and progress?"
(O'Conner and Arnoux, 1993: 12-13)

To clarify: I do like knowing how the natural world (including our physical body) works. Chemistry and biology are fascinating! However, I have a problem with human existence dependent on science and technology. We are a society fascinated with shinny tinny tech-stuff! But we are a society that has lost its soul, its imagination, its sense of community, its purpose.. because those are things that you cannot find thru science!

No comments: