Saturday, March 13, 2010

Society, crazy indeed!

Today, as I read articles for my class "Sociology of Development", I get frustrated with the state of affairs (political, economic and social) in our world and for our lack of meaningful action to change things around.

My frustration drives me to remember Alex McCandles whose story was told in the movie Into The Wild. The following quotes from the movie and soundtrack describe my feelings at the moment:

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods; 
There is a rapture on the lonely shore;
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar; 
I love not man the less, but Nature more... 
- Lord Byron

Society, you're a crazy breed.
I hope you're not lonely, without me.
Society, crazy indeed...
I hope you're not lonely, without me
Society, have mercy on me.
I hope you're not angry, if I disagree.
Society, crazy indeed.
I hope you're not lonely...
without me.
-Eddie Vedder

No comments: